History of the 133rd London (Haringey) Company
The company was first enrolled on the 16th December 1932 at 'The Robins Mission', Tottenham N.15. The Mission was part of London City Missions And the missioner Rev. George Sach was the first Captain. The following year, George went out to Labrador as a missionary and the company had a new captain, Mr L. H. Catlin.
In November 1939 the company closed as its officers were conscripted into the armed forces. After the war, the company reopened and was re-enrolled on 16th December 1946 with Mr. L. H. Catlin once more its captain. The company now met at St. Andrews Hall, Blackboy Lane, Tottenham N.15 and was part of St Ann's Parish Church. The Chaplain was the Rev Fred Finch.
In these early days the company had a Drum and Fife band. By the Late 50's, the band was changed to Drum and Bugle and by 1960 had now progressed to a full Brass Band. After 21 years of service, and due to illness, Les Catlin had to resign the captaincy in 1953. During the next 14 years, the company had no less than five different captains until in 1967, the present captain Mr A. E. Ryder took over the company.
The Brass Band had been going from strength to strength, and in 1965 joined other youth groups from the new London Borough of Haringey to form 'Haringey-Kreis Rees Youth Exchange Association'. The Association, in the form of the B.B. band, The Mermaid Youth Theatre, Wood Green United Football Club and Wood Green Girls Gymnastic Group, arranged biannual trips to Kreis Rees in Germany. The main core of the group was the band which was very well received in the various villages and towns that they played in over the years.
In December 1970 disaster struck and St. Andrews Hall was burnt to the ground in an arson attack. The company moved to the Fowler Newsam hall, still part of St Ann's Church, but a new chaplain Rev R. Field. Although the company flourished over the next few years, the Brass Band gradually faded and the German Youth Exchange stopped in 1984, after 19 successful years. In 1985, the Rev Field moved on to St. John Leyton and a new vicar, the Rev A. Dadd, came to St Ann's. This was a sad time at St. Ann's. Within six months, all youth activities had ceased at St. Ann's, accompanied by an alarming drop in the electoral roll.
At this time the company moved to 'Woodberry Down Baptist Church' in 1986, where it's chaplain was Rev F. Vaughan. Yes, it's not every company that could boast it's chaplain was 'Frankie Vaughan'. We also had a church member called Doris Day!!
After eight good years, Frank moved on to Temple Hill, Dartford and in 1994, Rev P. Mockett came to Woodberry Down. Again the company was forced to move, and after sheltering with the 3rd Tottenham Company and their chaplain the Rev M. Patten, moved in 1997 to the 'Kemble Hall', as part of St. Mary The Virgin, Lansdown Road, Tottenham N.17 where our chaplain is Fr. S. Morris.
List of Captains
|1932||Rev. G. Sach|
|1933||Mr L. H. Catlin|
|1939 - 1945||Closed during WW2|
|1946||Mr L. H. Catlin|
|1953||Mr W. A. Allen|
|1958||Mr J. H. Fendt|
|1962||Mr D. G. Shepperson|
|1964||Mr F. A. Hayward|
|1965||Mr M. J. Ellis|
|1967||Mr W. A. Allen|
|1967||Mr A. E. Ryder|
|2014 - Present||Mr A. J. Ryder|